Monday, July 16, 2007

Standing up in church...

I did a lot of it yesterday, and I've not finished just yet!

Yesterday was the first time in 4 years that I'd done a talk. The first time was on ascension day in 2003, to a very small congregation, in a small-ish church. Yesterday was a slightly bigger occasion and with a different message. I spoke on the baptism of Jesus and being a follower, because one of the young people was getting baptised.

Claire's testimony was heart-felt, we were all amazed by her ability to stand up and tell people about her life in such great detail. A true star, I know she was incredibly nervous and very worried about the reaction she was going to get. All she got was reassurance from everyone and a huge pat on the back.

As with all of these things, I don't remember very much of it, and it felt like someone else had done it once the whole thing was over. I was told before the beginning of the service that I was going to be doing power point, which added to the pressure, something which I'd never done in St Michael's from the back of church. I quickly learnt!

Everyone was full of praise afterwards, only one person had a question about what I'd said.

I'm comforted by the comment from my boss this morning as he came into the office 'That was a bit good last night Liz, and surprising, in a good way'. Funny, but I've got a smile on my face.

You can listen to me from the link on the church website - I'm the one that's dated 15 July - Youth service.

On with the week, 2 days to go...

No comments: