Monday, July 28, 2008

The Oast Houses

You're gonna have to type the title of this blog into Google to see where I stayed this weekend. I can't figure out how to make it link to another web page! Of course the pictures don't do it justice, and I didn't take any of my own because I forgot my camera and was working all weekend!

I spent my time with 3 other volunteers, who were happy enough to spend the weekend with 14 children, all of whom were well behaved and extremely excited by the thought of jumping on a couple of new faces. It was a fulfilling weekend and not as tiring as most weekends that I've found myself on recently.

I also spent some time in Rye, which is a very steep town, about 20 mins from where we were staying. I found some really nice fudge (which promptly went in the fridge when I got back!) and some good ice cream too...sadly I watched the bowls for a bit and read the paper before going back for dinner and a show of all the talent in the church.

South Green Baptist Church is a brilliant family, a good mix of young and old, all helping each other and welcoming to new faces. I loved the weekend, the right level of relaxing and working for me, time to switch off and time for teaching.

So back to work, and on my own too now, well not entirely, but everyone seems to be away this week or doing intense events (holiday bible club etc) so I have to find something to fill the time! I've got a lot of things that I need to do, like creating spread sheets and documents that will make it easy for me to keep track of time and money spent, looking at the next term and finding outwhats happening, so that I can plan effectively, keeping people in the loop and checking various bits of information to make sure it's correct.

I was given a book by Paul, who is our new team rector, as a 'welcome' present, which I'm going to digest over the summer, so I'll let you know what comes out of that and how my ideas form.

One problem I do have is that I really can't move my youth work 'stuff' (books, bibles, resources etc) until after all the work on the church and my office has been completed, so I am a little less focussed, as well as not having a laptop (shortly to be resolved) to put all of my work on. It'll make for a very interesting start to the academic year...it could feel a little rushed and last minute, but hopefuly not. Here's praying for guidance and focus.

No comments: