Monday, February 16, 2009

You actually can't stop the beat!

Way back in October I wrote about how I'd become absolutely besotted with a Sky 1 programme 'Hairspray: The School Musical', you can read that post here.

Last week, I got the opportunity to see the West End version of the Broadway musical, which has been turned into a movie most recently. It's only 5 years old, bless its heart, and I think, thanks to Zac Efron and Nikki Blonsky, the theatre was packed for a Wednesday night.

Before all of that though, Karen and I met in Westfield to have a wander and a chat. You have to see this place to believe it. Sadly no photos (I did check my phone before I started to blog!) but it's way better than Cabots Circus (sorry, Brizzle fans). For a start, there's no chance of getting too cold - it's all under cover and the food court is amazing (though I couldn't take advantage of it cos I wasn't feeling hungry!). It only takes me an hour and 20 to get to, so I think I'm going there next time I head to London (hopefully with someone very special in tow! KAY!).

After walking around for what seemed like an age Karen and I headed back to the tube station and got to the Shaftesbury Theatre with about 10 mins to spare (which is the best time to arrive at a theatre).

Karen warned me that I wasn't allowed to heckle the actors this time, after my little episode at Never Forget where I got the whole audience shouting out stuff after I said something out loud to the actor who plays Mark. To be honest the theatre was huge, so my voice would've been lost very quickly.

It was a brilliant show though, the set was really simple in a good way, the actors played there parts really well, although Michael Ball (in drag!) took a long time to get to being a woman rather than a man playing a woman (which is why I love John Travolta) and Ben (playing Link) did over do it a bit at the end (yes, I know Link doesn't get the dancing thing first time around, but he is quite savvy!).

So the men were difficult to get, but all of the women fell into their roles really well. I know the movie almost backwards, so was really reserved about seeing it on stage. I wasn't disappointed though and I'm glad I got to see Michael Ball again. Now I can't stop singing... all I have to do is buy the album!

It's half term world right now, so getting to work is a lot easier and I don't have to clock watch when I don't go into school.

This week I'm also going for dinner with the Bridal Party for my best friends wedding. Hopefully the four of us will be able to do a lot of work together and get the whole outfit and colour issue sorted! Looks like a lot of my Saturdays are going to be taken up with dress shopping! Yeay!

No comments: