Sunday, October 01, 2006

Southampton and other things

I am currently sitting in the office, checking my email and all of the other websites I have on my favourites list. It's a moment of calm and a chance to get back in touch with the world after what has been a long and strange day already.

I've been up since 8am, with the knowledge that I had to attend the 9am service, to show my face and be welcomed in by the half of the church that I hadn't seen yet. So that's why it's been a long day, already, and there is still a good few hours left on the clock before I can relax and sleep. The reason why it is strange is because the vicar officially leaves today, him, his wife and children are heading to new pastures this week, so while I'm being introduced (I have been here a month already) they are saying goodbye to 14 years of ministry in Stoke Gifford. Their longevity and love for this place is an inspiration to me, and although I may not get as attached to the church, I will make a good amount of friends this year, some of whom I will keep in touch with for a long time I hope.

Yesterday was a day in Southampton, with Helen, at Paulton's park. Free tickets from her sister made the day thoroughly enjoyable. We spent a few hours going round the park, and went on the Cobra quite a few times, its by far the best ride and didn't make me quite as sick as some of the others did. I think I suffer from a mild from of motion sickness - I actually need to be looking at the horizon when I'm moving, and when you're sat on a pirate ship that swings and spins, that's a little difficult! We went back to Helen's and watched Roman Polanski's Oliver Twist. It is a good book, but this interpretation of it didn't speak to me in the way the musical does! The characters are weak at times, and although you get the force of Bill sky's being a horrible piece of work, you don't really get anything from Fagin about his schemes.

I got on the train and got as far a swindon, only to be told over the intercom that something as wrong with the engine. I thought I was going to get home, but thankfully we pulled into Bristol parkway, and stepped off an oil streaked train. I don't know what happened to the people who needed to get to Cardiff, so I prayed all the way home for them!

The rest of today is going to be spent with Mettle, encouraging them to say goodbye to David and Becky. I also have to say goodbye to them even though I don't know them. That's a little unusual for me, I'm going to spend a year without a vicar but I'm going to see some of how a church goes about recruiting someone, for such a large job!

No comments: