Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Lordi, London and lazy dayz

Oh how I love alliteration! And bad spelling!

I've spent a good few hours just relaxing after my jaunt into the city yesterday, which almost began with Henry and I missing the train. Thankfully, there was a delay of some sort which meant that we found ourselves in London at lunch time with virtually nothing to do. What the best, cheapest thing to do in London on a rainy day? Go to the Tate Modern, so that's what we did. The currently have a huge installation of slides, by Carsten Holler, called Test Site and naturally Henry wanted to go on the tallest one (5 stories of twisting metal - inside the turbine hall! Incredibly high!) but unfortunately tickets were only available for the 3rd storey slide and at 5pm, which was a little on the late side for what we had planned, so we wondered around the third floor for a bit.

Now the Tate Modern is renown for its collection, in the many times I have been there I have seen Tracy Emin's messy bed and Cornelia Parker's exploding shed but for the first time I stood close to Pablo Picasso's Weeping Woman and looked carefully at her face and the composition of the picture. It's incredibly sad and obviously strange on first glance but if you look hard enough, she's wiping away her tears and chewing on the cloth she has in her hand. Don't look too hard or you'll lose the mystery! I also saw a picture by Emil Nolde, called The Sea B, which is incredible when you read what he has to say about it. He really has captured a moment, something that he wanted to do right from the start.

Then Henry got bored, so we wandered up and down Oxford Street for a bit. We ate and then went to Kentish Town, to see Lordi! We queued in the freezing cold for ages and once we got inside we found a spot and stood there for a while. Tursisas were the support act (sounds like an illness, and when said with the right accent Tereasas) and actually really good. Dressed like Norse men (of course, they are Finnish) and with an electric violin and two accordions, where could they go wrong? Well they didn't and I will put some photo's up to show you what they were like! It sounds snooty but all the different elements of the band came together do make a really good sound. If I could play my violin like that I'd earn a lot of money!

Lordi followed after a set change and a long wait. They played for a good hour, and then some. If you don't know who Lordi are, where have you been. They totally trounced Eurovision this year and have been touring since September. They are a good laugh and it being Halloween meant everyone got dressed up. The whole place was in high spirits, not angry or fighting, which some times seems to be the portrayal of this type of music. They had fireworks, fake blood and female dolls!

One thing that struck me while we were singing 'The Devil is a loser and he's my b!*ch' (which is true!) was that actually, these musicians are at the top of their game (although world domination is a theme!) and they are just shouting about their subject matter. Dressing up and using fake blood is all part of an act that is great fun to watch. I would never go the whole hog, but I appreciate those who do!

The other thing was that the crowd are so easily lead when they are in the mood. The drummer (who is amazing) lead the crowd for most of the evening - he seems like a very stroppy character! Kita seems like the smallest member of the band (I don't know if he actually is) but he makes up for it in personality! Mr Lordi is a good leader and loves his fireworks!

So I got home (billericay) at 7.30am this morning and managed to crawl into bed and get back out all before lunch, to talk to my Dad!

No comments: