Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A quick rant

Dad and I both got really angry yesterday, as the news told us that the names of the couple who killed Baby P were to be released as the restrictions on the reporting of the case were lifted.

Several questions ran through my head and out into our conversation over dinner as the BBC reported on the news.

Why does the public need to know the names? What extra information are they going to get from it?

We know that these people have been given their sentences, we understand that it's been done in the fairest way possible. So having their names and their faces on our tv screens just makes people even angrier and they go looking for relatives.

The only thing that is now certain since the names have been released is that the governemnt will spend money protecting these two (if) when they are freed from prison.

I don't care who they are, I care more about what my tax money is being spent on and am rather annoyed at the press for making so much of this.

Seen as I'm in a generally angry mood, I'm also upset that every programme on a weekday morning from 9am until 1pm on BBC1 at the moment is about money. Particularly the programme 'Trash to Cash' - where families literally get to turn junk in to money by selling it to friends, neighbours, family and other traders, for their own gain. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Whatever happened to saving your wages and giving things to charity shops or properly recycling the object?

Why does everything have to be about money at the moment?

No comments: