Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti

I've been shocked by some of the images and thoughts about the Haiti earthquake in recent days.

Whenever a natural disaster happens and there is a huge effort to help those affected, I always find myself in conversation with those that are close to me, and more often than not, we're trying to find out the truth, discussing what the press are telling us and what the stories of the people on the ground are telling us.

It does become really difficult to tell what is and what isn't true, and unless you read everything that is written, which would take you a very long time, you're not really going to form a complete opinion.

For a long time, for me, a natural disaster is a natural disaster, there is nothing humans can do to prevent it, it will happen, whether we like it or not, and when we least expect it. I don't believe that God is punishing anyone, that's an Old Testament belief (and boy, was He harsh), but everyone will be asking 'where is God?'. Good question... my very wise friend Gary said that He's there with the people, the soldiers, the rescue teams, the aid workers, the person who gives to the DEC and the person who seems unaffected by it all. God is everywhere, feeling a range of emotions all the time, looking out for all of us. He's no less in Haiti with the people, than He is in me.

I am praying, that all who are involved at a deeply personal level, each and every person will know God and His unending love, through the toughest time.

No comments: