Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A comment on a comment...

If you read the post dated Friday, August 29 2008, you'll see Sarah's comment and the link that she posted regarding the song Healer.

I did go on YouTube before my meeting last night and was greeted with a whole host of angry vidoes and replies. Apparently the guy who wrote the song had been lying about the treatment and illness he'd received.

Australian TV has pretty much ripped Mike Guglielmucci apart for the way he has deceived the church, his parents and his family.

I'm not a medical expert, and I'm not really sure what to say. Obviously it's a shock for everyone who knows Mike and for everyone who has given money or committed to praying for him over the last two years. Soul Survivour have made a statement and pulled the song from this years live album and Hillsong, well, the site seems to be a little quiet about it...

Personally, the song for me is a good one, and I guess I don't really identify with it from Mike's stories, it's difficult to make a decision based on what other people are saying, but I guess that's how it has to be.

All I can do is pray for healing, for Mike, the church and all the relationships where the trust has been broken. The song, strangely still applies to the situation, God is good and He will make right the wrongs that have gone on...it's not up to us. God's love endures forever (Ps 136) and there's nothing we can do to earn His love, He forgives us, and He will heal us when we ask.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the whole thing has raised some good discussion within my group - regarding forgiveness, church reaction etc as well as addiction, response and healing.
Definitely not a fan of the abuse that is out there and the way the secular papers are portraying things.
Addictions are horribly cruel things and can totally understand the symptoms of a guy who has been struggling for many years and how he hid it from his family and friends.
The Soul Survivor reaction was difficult - particularly as they publicly asked for healing prayer for Mike, telling his story at the start of the evening where most of the healing ministry took place. An awkward one, but a good learning curve I think.