Thursday, April 30, 2009

Achieving

There are many things I have accomplished in life, the big things, like completing my degree, learning to drive and becoming a full-time youth worker and the small things, beating my own score on various facebook games, meeting deadlines and building flat packs.

There are now four things in my room that I have built using instructions, and whilst I am no enthusiast, it gives me some sense of joy that I can build something and it ends up looking like the picture in front of me. So now I have a picture shelf (which used to hold books), a bed (with help from my Dad) and two DVD/CD cases. (Once upon a time there was a floating shelf on the cards, but since they can’t hold anything substantial, that idea was put away.) I am a little proud of myself, because this is the first time that I’ve done something like this entirely on my own.

My Dad is always saying that Ikea is rubbish and that you shouldn’t ever buy furniture from a shop the other side of the channel, but if it’s the only place that sells what I want in white, I haven’t really got a choice!!

Anyway, the time spent was good, I got to use my brain cells (though the instructions weren’t hard) and my muscle! And now I have a wall for storage! Ta da!

The only thing that I’ve really got to figure out is how to attach them to the wall, so they don’t fall on me and potentially break my legs whilst I slept. Hopefully everything will fit in these two wonderful inventions and I’ll be able to use the spare under bed space for shoes! Now I’ve just got to fix my overflowing chest of draws... that’s for a day when I feel like tidying!

In other news, it seems that the addition of yellow lines to the estate, has psychologically altered the minds of everyone who parks in the surrounding area. Now they all seem to think that parking on the pavement and the road is ok...when in fact is more dangerous and illegal!

Case in point – the parking of the fitter who came to change the fan that got killed by my Mum leaving the sausages cooking for far too long! (the cooker and fan were brought from Galleywood kitchens – the fan stopped the house from burning down) This is happening every day and it’s rather annoying. To be honest though, since I watched the yellow lines go down, I haven’t seen a traffic warden... And there is still a gap in the double yellows on Hillhouse Drive, where all the ridiculousness started!

Now is the beginning of another four month review period for me, the last one ended well, with some really clear, constructive feedback from my management, plus a thank you and a well done! The next four months are going to be interesting... hopefully with an update of the last four to start off with and a move forwards to building relationships with team, young people and schools. I’m really excited about some training that I’ve got to look out for, all of it will hopefully make me more proficient for my job!

Keep an eye out for the return of the Summer Party in the near future!!

P.S. I have migrated to the floor, because the wireless internet connection only works down here, I swear my computer always askes itsself 'How uncomfortable can I make Liz's day today?'

No comments: