Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter

This Easter weekend has gone by in a flash, partly because I haven't been able to sit a watch really.

Maundy Thursday was really important this year. We had some good discussions and a little bit of teaching about the first passover, sharing food and sitting together (which I don't think we've done before) ... and the time in church was equally important. We were sat with the young people from the team church across town. It was great to sit with them and listen to what they'd been up to.

Warner spoke about the first passover again and used material from the time when students from St John's school came to church to learn about passover.

Shortly after that a few of us gathered at St Mary's in the High Street to hold a vigil. I had two hours of nothing, to recover and pray.


It was nice to sit and chill... to listen to God and hear words that I've heard over and over again, but with a fresh set of thoughts

"What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.

Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

Matt 6 from the Message (and biblegateway.com)

God will provide for us if we look to Him first... obvious really, but fixation on God is the key. often we use this passage as a 'don't worry God will fix it', kind of a 'while we're in the midst of trouble' verse ... but actually it's a verse to remind us where our focus should be inn the first place.

Mini but important...

So Good Friday crept up me. I said the words that Jesus would've said to Pilot and then rushed home to then rush out again to join this

The CTB Walk of Witness. It's two years since I last described it (here) which means I was working in Bristol at the time of blogging (time flies). We almost managed total silence and those businesses that have sprung up since Easter of last year were more than curious to see what was going on (a really clear memory of a hairdresser almost running to her door to see this spectacle is in my mind). No heckling this year, a couple of rude motorists though.

The rest of Good Friday was for Eastingle. We had 85 people in our church, learning what Easter is all about, and realising that I still don't know why the day is called Good. It was a really good afternoon, despite the rain.

The rest of the weekend was taken up with travelling to and from Bristol. It was good to see Kay, and her brother, who both turned 25 last weekend! And to collect and be driven round in Kay's new MX-5! I also saw a very dear friend, on my way home, I haven't seen Mary since I lived in Bristol, even though we used to live a street (or so) apart from each other in Billericay. She's now in Sussex, it was nice to catch up with her and meet her crazy dog, Horlicks!

Sunday came, unusual from previous years, I can't put my finger on it though, but it may have something to do with not seeing Karen, at all over Easter, and I slept for the most part (travelling 300 miles in 24 hours) and then headed to the pub. We were in the Spoons in town and bumped into the other lot from Billericay that are going to Center Parcs this weekend. I also had the opportunity to try Daffy's Elixir from Brewsters. Lovely beer - going to see if I can find it in bottle for soon!

Anyway, it is Thursday, I now feel I need to post this, because the time stamp is incorrect!

No comments: