Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Critial review my arse!

You know that horrible feeling when someone says 'The work wasn't up to the standard we'd expect'? Well I got that feeling today and then found out I got a 38 in my assignment for SO214, yes a fail - the second one of my uni career, and I thought I'd done really well (well at least a pass), but obviously not. The good thing is that I wasn't the only one, and I know that there are others in the smae position. A few questions I have to ask about this particular assignment -

How on earth am I meant to write a critical review in 1000 words?
How am I meant to do it without any set reading or any notes from the author on any further reading?
How am I meant to find the books when I'm not sure what the artical is getting at?
How am I meant to know what the psychological factors of this piece are when I have no knowledge of psychology?
Which lecturer has marked my work and how can they know where my knowledge is based, and mark accordingly?

The answer to all of these in some shape or form (but with a lot more words) is NO, a big fat obvious NO! It doesn't happen, for all the areas of a social study to be covered you need more than 1000 words, for it to have any proper evidance you NEED books to quote from and for the question to be answered you need to have the proper teaching. I am not an English student who knows what a critical review is and sociology is not hugely strong on disability!

Anyway, the next assignment is

'With reference to Sociology, Social Policy and relevant pschological factors, critically discuss how a family might be affected by the disability of a significantly impaired family member'

And oh gosh there's that word again...I've got a mountain of questions that I wanted to ask this week so I could write my assignment next monday, but now have to wait till next tuesday to get all my answers!
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No comments: