Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh the ridiculousness!

Of the council mainly.... I've been driving around Billericay now for 8 and a half months and I don't think I've ever seen the stupid things that I've seen today. Maybe it is just because I have to concentrate on what is happening now that I spot the strange idiosyncrasies of people who are working for the council by default.

Line painting is my example. We've all seen/heard the stories of people having their cars painted with yellow lines or been given tickets because the traffic warden (or whatever the PC term is for them...I'm not particularly bothered at this time of night) has come round whilst the paint is still wet, and the uproar that it can cause. I get that the lines need to be painted, but really, painting between the cars? I'm partly tempted to go back to the spot where I've seen this an take a photo to show you... in fact if it's still like that on Sunday night I will.

It is stupid, a little fore thought would flag up that the cars are going to be parked there, day in day out, normally during working (or commuting) hours and that they will be removed shortly after 6pm or 7pm. After that time, work can commence or the cones can come out ready for painting the next day... simples (as Aleksandr would put it) but no.

Then there's the guy painting the lines with the road still open... on the estate where I live, it's not to hard to redirect the traffic and not a huge amount of people are going to be annoyed if you divert them for a very good reason. I don't want the person painting the line to get knocked over... as morbid as that sounds, it probably does happen. So shut the road of 5 mins and do it safely!

And finally... would it kill you to pull your trousers up whilst you're the face (arse) of the council? I mean literally of course, because the last thing I need on a Friday morning is to see that!

1 comment:

John Cowart said...

Makes sense to close the road while work is being done; here in Jacksonville, four highway workers were hospitalized Monday night when a drunk drive ran over the construction warning lights and barriers to hit them. One worker may loose both legs.