Friday, January 20, 2012

Back against the wall

So I have seen an osteopath for my back. I have never seen anyone about my back problems, but after thinking about it and talking about it with the osteopath, it turns out that my history is longer than I ever thought and probably started with a car accident and therefore is definitely over 10 years old.

That worries me slightly. That something has been wrong with me for that long and I have not done anything about it in all of the time I have been walking around, in pain occasionally, and it could have been fixed with a couple of trips to see a professional.

I facebooked about my neck problem and lovely Georgina, who has been a young person and turned into a friend, through Guides and other family connections, said that I ought to book with her and she could see what she could do for me.

The long and the short of it was that she spent an hour and a half with me - diagnosed my problem - stemming from my breathing and in the end I felt a lot better for being treated as a whole person. A doctor would've given me painkillers and told me to rest, Georgina gave me exercises and offered a follow up appointment in two weeks. And yesterday for the first time in a long time I had pain where I was supposed to have pain! It wasn't displaced, and it made all the difference for it being where it was supposed to be. I felt happier!

I have decided that I need to keep up with this and that private health care, for my toes and back at least, is the way to go about making life easier. I am not looking forward to seeing the podiatrist again, though he was funny and knew exactly was he was doing, it doesn't make injections any easier! I love the NHS, but I don't really want to have to wait - my Nan had her hip replaced last summer and she's only just seeing the osteopath, and only for 6 appointments. I can see Georgina at The Moir Health Clinic for as long as I want and she doesn't currently have a waiting list, though I think she soon will.

No comments: