Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A reflection

I'm having a moment of reflection, quiet contemplation whilst the world falls apart, financially, in front of me. Debt is the headline and no doubt the world will struggle for a while yet, but as for me, I have looked at a previous blog post and been reminded of the Christmas period, that rushed past me, without much of a comment.

In Blooming Christianity I said that I had never felt what it was like to be in an over-flowing church. Chinese church (Happy New Year, by the way) is experiencing a boom in numbers, which is brilliant news for the people who live there, quite frightening, I imagine, for church leaders. It made me think of Christmas Eve at Christ Church, when we hold our Christingle services.

As a church many hours go into preparing one service, that happens three times. The first one this year, everyone had a seat, everyone, who wanted one, got an orange and it was a pleasant service. The second one was over-flowing. I stood in the corner, by the band, and looked at perhaps 350 people, lots of children sitting on parents laps, and one huge opportunity to tell the message of Jesus' birth. The third one was quieter and everyone had a seat again.

Only now, looking back, I realise that a church that is over-flowing is a beautiful thing. I was happy to be stood up for the whole service, to hear the band play Once In Royal David's City, all the way through, twice, and to see that so many people are coming to church.

It is exhausting, exhilarating and by the end of it, I am often pleased it only happens once a year.

In 2012 we are looking at how Christmas works, with the schools ending so late, we already need to start thinking about it. Forward planning though, means we can have the right conversations with the right people to make the week up to Christmas smooth and as stress free as possible!

No comments: