Monday, August 18, 2008

Thorpe Park 2008

Yesterday started at 06:30 and ended at 02:00 - a pretty long day...for all the right (though some wrong) reasons.

I went to the 8am service - as it's third Sunday we get a chance to have a spoken communion before the all together service at 10am, with breakfast in between! I love being a church for an extended amount of time...though occasionally its stressful...our family is made up of a great mix of people and seeing them all is good fun.

After the 10am service, the twenty-somethings got into various cars and headed off to Thorpe Park. We had a lot of fun, trying to get people wet, getting wet on purpose and trying to dry off afterwards, queuing and chatting with the Thorpe Park staff when the rides broke down. Sadly Colossus suffered a technical failure, so we couldn't go on it, but some of the small rides made an impact...Rush and Slammer being two of the rides I would go on again. I had Heather next to me screaming like a banshee...and the boys doing superman poses as often as they could!

To the right is a picture of Stealth one of the newer rides (2006 I think) at the park. I'm a thrill seeker (a convert) and this was ok, but it didn't get me screaming like Heather. Thorpe Park is a tame park...their 'dangling legs' ride isn't fast enough in my opinion, I really wanted to go on Colossus but it sounds like it maybe suffering from old age. Overall I liked the rides, but they felt familiar and didn't rattle me enough...I didn't fell pinned to my seat on Stealth, which was over too quickly - Rita: Queen of Speed is a better ride - its longer, and well designed with tight turns and a feeling of danger - but that's 4 hours away in Staffordshire!

Still not much more to complain about...the park is compact and easy to navigate, KFC's menu was a little short, but the queuing wasn't bad, though you don't get the suspense that Alton Towers builds! X No Way Out was better than I remember it, but going backwards in the dark, with starting and stopping is hard on the neck.

I'm going to have to find some bigger, scarier rides to get a kick!

This week I've got planning, reading and creating to do, a Vista system to get used to (I don't like the fact that it 'wiped' the photos from my camera, when I told it to leave them on there), car insurance to sort, mentoring to start and a festival to go to! Exciting stuff...I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: