Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A night at the Theatre

MONSIEUR DE COUBERTIN'S MAGNIFICENT OPYMLIC FEAT!

In a church... as always.

My theatre attendance is probably average at the moment - I have fits and starts really, if something takes my fancy, I'll go for it - though it took me about 6 years to pluck up the courage to see Chicago!

Anyway, yesterday evening we headed to Emmanuel Church, in Billericay, to see The Riding Light's Theatre Company perform the above show (it's pronounced O-PIM-LICK) and I wasn't disappointed.

The acting is really good, only three people on stage during the whole performance, so that's a lot of lines to learn, a few faults, but that's normal. I won't give away the story, but it is very topical for 2012 and the twist is a good one. If you get a chance to see any Riding Lights stuff, please don't pass up the chance to go, you will regret it!

I have seen this theatre company a number of times - not as many as my parents, but I was taken to see them at Spring Harvest when I was much younger and didn't really get what was going on. I have a vivid memory of it though and my Dad can probably tell you more. I saw Origins and Lemons when that came to Billericay as well, but because it was my own church, I was panicking a bit - there wasn't really a memorable reason. I enjoyed Origins and Lemons - and I enjoyed the Opymlic telling of the story too.

I was sat with the guys from the 20's and 30's group - the Living Room and some of my young people. These people are my extended family, some I have grown up with, some have grown up whilst I have been their youth worker, and it is always good to spend time with them! (that's where the 'we' comes from)

No comments: