Thursday, May 11, 2006

Killing time...

I'm in that place where I'm so bored and tired that I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not sleeping particularly well and getting up early. Obviously that leaves me tired all day, so it gets to about 4pm and I just stop, especially when I've had to talk about the 'cult of celebrity' for the previous two hours.

Apparently the death of Diana tells us a lot about popular culture and the religion of the society we live in. I understand that, but is it necessary to ask really long questions on such a wonderful afternoon? Oh and making really bad comparisons. How was Elvis anything like Princess Di? Surely John Lennons a better match? For those of you who lived in that era could tell me? I think I'm talking about icons of our time, are there people who we perceive in the same way as we did with Di? Would there be a mass out pouring of grief if someone who is uber-famous died tomorrow?

Public reaction is a funny thing. I've filled my time rather nicely. I'm off to 'be free' at chaplaincy!

1 comment:

Pete said...

Are Elvis and Princess Di comparable - No. John Lennon and Princess Di - No. John Lennon and Elvis - Yes. They both have fame because they have a musical talent, and got lucky. Di just got lucky. Elvis died because of his genes, John was clearly murdered, Di was just involved in a traffic accident. The point is people feel close to those examples (and others) because they see them more than they do their own friends, and they probably (think) they know more about them. That’s how you react if one of your friends dies unexpectedly. Right now I think only David Beckham would cause such a reaction - if he were to die. Who else is in EVERYONE's consciousness?

The only other example I can think of in my life time is Kennedy. When he was assassinated the world held its breath - because of the politics of the time. Even I was frightened - I was seven. Yes, I can remember where I was, in the dinning room watching the six o’clock news.